Yohz Software has just released SQL Spreadsheets 126.96.36.199, a Windows application that lets you export result sets to Excel spreadsheets with embedded images and links to blob data, and deliver them to end users via email, ftp or file copy. It supports various database servers, including PostgreSQL 7.1 upwards.
SQL Spreadsheets allows you to:
- export result sets to spreadsheets and embed images directly in your spreadsheets
- create links in your spreadsheets to exported binary files
- automatically identify most common image formats stored in your blob columns
- automatically identify most common file formats stored in your blob columns
- deliver the spreadsheets to your users via ftp, email or file copy
- schedule jobs to run periodically to export data to spreadsheets
- connect to PostgreSQL databases without the need to install any additional drivers
Yohz Software is a micro-ISV specialising in developing database applications.
SQL Maestro Group announces the release of PostgreSQL Maestro 13.7, a powerful Windows GUI solution for PostgreSQL database server administration and database development.
The new version is immediately available for download.Top 10 new features:
- Support for foreign data management objects.
- Improved support for composite types.
- Keyboard-interactive SSH authentication.
- Enhanced SQL Dump wizard.
- New Nullable Column Checker tool.
- New Start Page with quick access to recently connected databases.
- Advanced metadata filtering abilities.
- Improved SQL Editor and Script Runner.
- Highlighted key columns and multi-column lookup editors in the data grids.
- Colored profiles in Database Explorer.
There are also some other useful things. Full press release is available at the SQL Maestro Group website.
PostgreSQL Conference Europe 2013 in Dublin, Ireland, on October 29th - November 1st, is now open for registration!
PGConf.EU is the largest PostgreSQL dedicated conference in the world, with three packed days of sessions ranging from beginner level to advanced sessions about database internals, and more than 250 attendees.
The 2013 edition is now open for registration to all attendees. Register before September 15 and receive almost 20% Early Bird discount! We recommend attendees to register as early as possible, since the conference often sells out!
There will be a full day of training sessions on October 29th, the day before the main conference, held by well known teachers from the PostgreSQL community. These sessions are ordered at registration, and are also available for order now. The training sessions are held in smaller groups, and may sell out quickly, so we suggest that anybody who wish to attend the training register early!
We'd also like to remind you that our call for papers is still open, where we are looking for even more interesting presentations for the conference. Speakers of the conference receive free attendance, so make sure to submit your ideas!
We look forward to seeing you in Dublin!
Novosoft LLC, one of the leading providers of backup solutions for home and corporate users, has launched an add-on for their popular software Handy Backup. The new plug-in helps to back up PostgreSQL databases in a simple and convenient way.
"PostgreSQL is one of the fastest, most widely used, and reliable free database management systems. It satisfies the requirements of all kinds of consumers: it’s popular among individual programmers and is also used by large corporations. To meet market’s need of information safety, we have implemented advanced support for PostgreSQL backup in Handy Backup. Our new solution is one of the most reliable ways to perform PostgreSQL backup and, I hope, will be appreciated by users,” – said Aleksey Dolgushev, Head of Handy Backup Business Development Department.
PostgreSQL functionality is included in business editions of Handy Backup (Small Server and Network Server) and can be added to other versions through a purchase of a respective plug-in.
The program lets users back up PostgreSQL tables located on both local and remote computers without stopping them due to the Hot Backup technology.
The plug-in presents the smart scheduler that allows setting up program only once to run backup and restore tasks automatically on a minute to monthly basis. The software can be launched as Windows service and will perform backups on time even if a user is not logged on.
Handy Backup provides assured protection for backups: all copies can be saved with advanced encryption and can be protected by password.
PostgreSQL backups could be saved to hard drives, local and remote servers including FTP/SFTP/FTPS servers, WebDav storage, and popular cloud storages such as Amazon S3, Google Drive and others. All copies could be saved with ZIP-compression to minimize required storing space.
Handy Backup is claimed to be one of the market’s most effective solutions for PostgreSQL backup with a broad range of useful features.
More information about Handy Backup can be found on the official website: http://handybackup.net
The second beta release of PostgreSQL 9.3 is now available. This beta contains updated and debugged previews of all of the features which will be available in version 9.3, and is ready for testing by the worldwide PostgreSQL community. Please download, test, and report what you find.Changes Since Beta 1
The following changes and bug fixes have been made since Beta 1. If you tested a feature in the previous beta, please retest it now to make sure that any issues you discovered have been fixed.
- prevent xid gaps in Hot Standby startup
- prevent insertion deadlocks with SP-GiST indexes
- add user-visible "updatable" flag for foreign tables and views
- fix two issues with JSON and Unicode
- make sure that pg_isready displays correct connection info
- fix pg_dump dependancy order for EventTriggers
- fix regression tests for postgres_fdw
- fix pg_xlogdump -r
- array_remove() no longer emits broken empty arrays
- fix formatting of automatically generated recovery.conf file
- simplify handling of crashes after fast failover
- allow CREATE FOREIGN TABLE to include SERIAL columns
- make the word "FOREIGN" optional in "ALTER TABLE"
- translation updates merged
- many documentation updates
Additionally, all bug fixes prepared for back-branches of PostgreSQL have been applied to Beta 2.
We depend on our community to help test the next version in order to guarantee that it is high-performance and bug-free. Please download PostgreSQL 9.3 Beta 2 and try it with your workloads and applications as soon as you can, and give feedback to the PostgreSQL developers. Features and APIs in Beta 2 will not change substantially before final release, so it is now safe to start building applications against the new features. More information on how to test and report issues
Get the PostgreSQL 9.3 Beta 2, from our download page. Some binary installers for various platforms, including Solaris and FreeBSD, are already available; other will become available over the next week.
Full documentation of the new version is available online, and also installs with PostgreSQL.
2ndQuadrant is proud to announce the release of version 1.2.1 of Barman, Backup and Recovery Manager for PostgreSQL.
This minor release introduces support for bandwidth limitation through the "bandwidth_limit" option. This option allows administrators to set the maximum number of kilobytes per second for backup and recovery operations. Different bandwidth caps can be set for different servers.
More control on bandwidth limitations can be achieved through the "tablespace_bandwidth_limit" option that allows to cap the bandwidth usage for one or more specific PostgreSQL tablespaces.
By default, no bandwidth limitation is enforced, making Barman 1.2.1 fully compatible with configuration files from previous versions. This set of features gives administrators finer control on regular backup activities, reducing the impact of these operations on live systems.
Minor bugs have also been fixed.
For a complete list of changes, see the "Release Notes" section below.Links
- Added the "bandwidth_limit" global/server option which allows to limit the I/O bandwidth (in KBPS) for backup and recovery operations
- Added the "tablespace_bandwidth_limit" global/server option which allows to limit the I/O bandwidth (in KBPS) for backup and recovery operations on a per tablespace basis
- Added /etc/barman/barman.conf as default location
- Bug fix: avoid triggering the minimum_redundancy check on FAILED backups (thanks to Jérôme Vanandruel)
Barman (Backup and Recovery Manager) is an open source administration tool for disaster recovery of PostgreSQL servers written in Python. It allows your organisation to perform remote backups of multiple servers in business critical environments and help DBAs during the recovery phase. Barman's most requested features include backup catalogues, retention policies, remote recovery, archiving and compression of WAL files and backups.
Built on top of PostgreSQL's robust and reliable Point-In-Time-Recovery technology, Barman allows database administrators to manage the backup and recovery phases of several PostgreSQL database servers from a centralised location, using an intuitive command interface. Barman is distributed under GNU GPL 3.
2ndQuadrant has launched a ‘carrier-grade’ support service for companies who require absolute mission-critical incident protection.
The company has decided to offer this level of service commitment to support the rapidly growing adoption of PostgreSQL by enterprises requiring the highest level of support services.
This new service, branded Platinum Production Support, provides the additional reassurance of a guaranteed 15-minute (human) response time, 4-hour workaround, and a fix within 24 hours for PostgreSQL production databases. With 24/7 coverage included too.
2ndQuadrant has an excellent track record of recovering databases for companies of all sizes, having provided 24/7 production support for over 8 years. Simon Riggs, CTO of 2ndQuadrant, said, “More of our major clients from financial, telecoms and internet-based sectors are increasingly requiring extraordinary levels of up-time to avoid the potentially significant costs of downtime. With the rise in PostgreSQL databases at the heart of these mission-critical operations, we've launched this new service to ensure that organisations have the best support available, and equally to provide reassurance in their choice of database. The Platinum service complements our popular Gold service, providing clients—where every minute of downtime counts—with the reassurance they need.”
PostgreSQL is becoming a default choice for many leading corporations and public sector organisations, who can see the value in open source products and the benefits of reducing the costs of fee-based database licences. 2ndQuadrant’s launch of this level of support heralds new expectations of PostgreSQL, and helps dismiss the fears amongst the sceptics that an open source database might be a higher-risk choice.
Platinum Production Support is available now from 2ndQuadrant. Find out more at http://2ndQuadrant.com/support/
DtSQL 2.7.1 is released on July 7,2013
DtSQL is a FREE universal database query and editor tools for developers and database administrators to Query, Edit, Browse, and Manage Database objects such as tables, views, indexes, procedures, functions, triggers, contraints and sequences. It can access most databases and can be used on all major operating systems.
- Supported databases : Cache, DB2, Derby, Firebird, FrontBase, H2, HSQLDB, Informix, Ingres, JDatastore, MaxDB, Mckoi, Mimer, MySQL, Oracle, PointBase, PostgreSQL, Solid, SQLite, SQL Server, SQL Anywhere, Sybase (ASE).
- Support Operation Systems : Windows, Linux and Mac OS. Database Browser Tools : browse schemas, tables, columns, primary and foreign keys, constraints, views, indexes, triggers, stored procedures, functions, sequences, and so on.
- Database Tools : create, alter, view and drop database tables, views, indexes, constraints, stored procedures, functions, triggers, sequences, and so on.
- Database Management Tools : edit database table data including binary/BLOB and CLOB data types. Filter, sort and search query result. Insert, duplicate, update, and delete database table data. Find and replace database data, preview generated SQL. Redo or undo last table data change before update is commit.
- SQL Tools : tools to edit, format and execute SQL scripts.
SQL Builder : help tools to build database select, insert, update, delete SQL scripts.
- Import Data : tools to import data from various formats such as CSV files, Excel files, and fixed-width files. Parse import data according to integer, date, time, timestamp, and boolean pattern.
- Export Data : tools to export database data (single table/multiple tables/query result) in various formats such as CSV files, Excel files, XML, HTML, SQL insert statements and fixed width files. Format export data according to applied integer, date, time, timestamp, and boolean pattern.
- Built in database (HSQLDB) without any configuration
FREE to use.
Devart Team is proud to introduce the new versions of dbExpress drivers with support for the latest version of Embarcadero’s RAD Studio - RAD Studio XE4. This considerable upgrade gives users an opportunity to develop their applications using the cutting-edge IDE for all the supported target-platforms: Win32, Win64 and Mac OS.
Devart dbExpress is a database-independent layer that defines common interface to provide fast access to SQL database servers from Delphi and C++Builder on Windows and Mac OS X for both 32-bit and 64-bit platforms. For each supported server, dbExpress provides a driver as an independent library that implements the common dbExpress interfaces for processing queries and stored procedures. As data-access layer is thin and simple, dbExpress provides high-performance database connectivity and is easy to deploy. Users can use drivers in the same way as the ones supplied by Embarcadero.
The new versions of dbExpress drivers provide the following improvement:
- Support for RAD Studio XE4 is implemented
Pricing and Availability
Price of a single license for a dbExpress driver starts at just $99.95.
Users can try out the new versions of the PostgreSQL driver here:
Devart is a recognized vendor of database connectivity solutions for Microsoft .NET and Embarcadero Delphi development platforms as well as database management software. Company's solutions support such databases as Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, InterBase, Firebird, PostgreSQL, and SQLite. Along with database oriented software Devart offers productivity tools for Visual Studio developers and security components for Delphi.
For additional information about Devart, visit http://www.devart.com/.
The MicroOLAP team is proud to introduce Database Designer for PostgreSQL v1.9.0, an comprehensive CASE tool with intuitive graphical interface allowing you to
- build a clear and effective database structure visually,
- see the complete picture (diagram) representing all the tables, references between them, views, stored procedures and other objects,
- easily generate a physical database on a server,
- modify it according to any changes you made to the diagram using fast ALTER statements,
- import already existing diagram from a server,
- export diagram to common graphic formats or as SQL script,
- create detailed printings and reports.
You're welcome to download the Database Designer for PostgreSQL 1.9.0 right now at: http://microolap.com/products/database/postgresql-designer/download/Feedback
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions or report bugs with our Support Ticketing system available at http://www.microolap.com/support/Full changelog:
- [!] New compiler used in development
- [!] New exception tracer tool used
- [-] "Designer doesn't restore itself to maximized state after restart" bug fixed
- [-] "Modify Database ignores output script character case option" bug fixed
- [-] "Reverse Engineering warns that diagram is not empty even though it clearly is" bug fixed